With over 22 years of experience painting on silk, Canadian Silk Artist, Kety Bagwalla, brings to your homes and your person, her art of original silk paintings and wearables. Each piece is hand painted on silk, with love and passion for this beautiful style of painting, making each piece a one-of-a-kind art.
I studied this art form at the Dubai International College of Arts in the Middle East. Though I am passionate about art in any form and always eager to learn and experiment with different kinds of medium, the art that really captured me and closest to my heart since the last over 2 decades, is painting on silk. Deeply inspired by my instructor’s exquisite paintings on silk, there was no turning back for me, from the time I began my journey to become a fine silk artist…..AND the journey continues.
The feel of luxurious silk sliding and gliding through your fingers, feel the drape of a scarf around your neck or see a beautiful painting on your wall is an experience in itself. The colors move and flow gently across a blank piece of silk, take form to create brilliance on silk and seeing your painting come alive, is like magic – TRULY A POETRY IN MOTION.
Having moved to Toronto from Dubai, my primary goal was to source suppliers of all silk painting materials so that I could continue to paint. I took several workshop wherever and whenever I got an opportunity.
To name a few:
- Abiquiu Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, Santa Fe – New Mexico (during the S.P.I.N. – Silk Painters International Festival, which takes place every 2 years)
- Silk painting workshop with Donna Cameron.
- Southampton School of Art
- Port Angeles at Karen Sistek studio
- African Batik with Ugandan Master Batik artist, David Kibuuka, in Toronto
- Traditional batik in Yogyakarta, Indonesia at Brahma Tirta Sari and Batik Winotosastro.
- Moghul miniature style painting in Udaipur, Rajasthan
- I have also taken several online workshops learning different techniques of working with silk – a few of which are:
- Batik with Rosi Robinson
- Arashi shibori with Anna Hedstrom
- Itajame shibori with Anna Hedstrom
- Painting wearables with Natasha Foucault
- Ice dyeing with Susan Purney-Mark
I have participated in numerous juried shows and won a few awards. My paintings adorn many homes across the globe.
I feel my creations embody my spirit and the rich cultures I have absorbed from my travels around the world.
For those who have graciously visited my site, I’d like to leave you with one thought….
”Poetry surrounds us everywhere, but putting it on paper is, alas, not as easy as looking at it”. – Vincent Van Gogh
444total visits,2visits today